|Crispy Fish Cutlets (Sri Lankan)|
For the Tuna mix:
2 medium potatoes, cubed
2 tins of tuna chunks, drained
½ medium red onion, chopped finely
2 – 3 green chilies, chopped finely, deseeded
4 – 5 curry leaves, shredded
½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
1 tsp or more chili powder
½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp cumin powder
½ tsp Lime juice to taste
4 tbsp plain bread crumbs for coating
2 medium egg whites beaten
Oil for deep frying
1. Boil the potatoes until soft. When they’re done, drain the potatoes and leave to cool in the sieve. You want the water from the potatoes to evaporate, so do leave them for long enough.
2. In the meanwhile, prepare the remaining ingredients except for the salt and lime juice, and mix them in a bowl. When the potatoes have cooled down, mash them and add to the mixture in the bowl. Add the lime juice and salt to taste.
3. Sprinkle a little olive oil in a pan and sauté the mixer for 10 mins and let it cool.
4. Take about a golf-ball sized amount of mixture and roll it into a ball. Next dip the ball into the egg, and then into bread crumbs. Do all the cutlets in this way.
5. Pour oil into a deep pan, or a wok and put on medium high. You’ll need enough oil for deep frying.The oil is hot enough when it sizzles when you insert a wooden spoon inside.
6. Fry the cutlets for a few min on each side, until they’re heated through and the coating is cooked.