I have tried so many recipes to try to find a way of making a keto version of shortbread that not only tastes like sweet, buttery, shortbread, but also has the crumbly dry texture of regular shortbread. This is the best that I can find. I’ve mixed three different recipes together to find what works best with the ingredients available in the UK. And here we are….. At only 1 carb per biscuit, you can have one with every cup of coffee!
INGREDIENTS – For 12 biscuits
- 140g Almond Flour
- 60g Whey Protein Powder
- 125g Salted Butter
- 50g Bocha Sweet granulated sugar substitute
- Preheat the oven to 160*C
- Line a heavy, flat, baking tray with greaseproof paper
- Add the dry ingredients to a bowl and combine them thoroughly
- With a hand whisk, beat the sugar and butter for 2-3 minutes until soft, creamy and thoroughly combined
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the sugary butter mixture until it resembles large breadcrumbs
- Press the dough together with your hands to form a ball
- Place the dough on your baking sheet and with another sheet of greaseproof paper on top, gently press and roll the dough into an oblong shape roughly 20cm x 15cm and 1.5cm deep. Use a large knife or spatula to keep straight edges. I tend to cut off any wobbly edges and gently press this into the middle of the dough, so that I have as evenly shaped rectangle as possible as this helps with producing evenly sized and shaped biscuits.
- Prick the top of the dough with a fork to produce the traditional shortbread markings and then bake for 10-12 minutes (depending on your oven temperature). When cooked, the shortbread should be evenly coloured golden brown, dry to the touch, but still squidgy when touched gently with a finger.
- Remove from the oven and whilst hot, cut with a large sharp knife into 12 biscuits by dividing in half lengthways and then into six finger pieces widthways. Leave to cool completely before moving.
- Store in an airtight tin, in a cool place, for 3-4 days
NOTE: I OFTEN ADJUST MY RECIPES WHEN I FIND NEW INGREDIENTS AND WILL UPDATE THE RECIPES ON MY BLOG ACCORDINGLY (RATHER THAN PRODUCING ANOTHER RECIPE), SO PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK BEFORE MAKING.