This quick and easy recipe is a must for winter suppers, lunches or weekend snacks. Sausage Rolls! Made with your favourite sausages and a peppery version of the fathead pizza dough, they come out of the oven crispy, golden brown and delicious and won’t last long. I use my favourite sausages from my local butcher or some plain pork sausages from M&S, but you can use any sausages you like – just try to get a high meat content and lower fat content to prevent the rolls from being greasy and soft. These lovely sausage rolls come in at just 5.3 net carbs each.
Ingredients – 8 Sausage Rolls
- 8 Sausages
- 250g Grated Mozarella
- 50g Coconut Flour
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 0.5 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Large Eggs (whisked lightly)
- Preheat your oven to 170*C
- Microwave the mozzarella in 30-second bursts until it is thoroughly melted and there are no lumps remaining. Be careful not to overcook, or you will burn the cheese.
- Thoroughly mix the dry ingredients together and add this, with 3/4 of the whisked eggs, to the melted cheese. Retain the other 1/4 of the whisked egg mix.
- Mix well together with a wooden spatula. I find squidging the mixture between my fingers is best for distributing the ingredients evenly.
- Drop the dough onto a silicone sheet or sterilised worktop and knead for a couple of minutes until the dough resembles an even and smooth dough. Cut it into two equal pieces.
- Allow the dough to rest for 5 minutes whilst you take the skin off each of the sausages
- Then add a little coconut flour to your hands and rolling pin and roll out each piece of the dough to a rectangle wide enough and long enough to be able to completely cover 4 sausages with just a slight overlap. Repeat with the second half of the dough.
- Add one skinless sausage to each piece of dough and roll up into a sausage roll shape with only a small dough overlap. Place the sausage roll on a lined baking sheet, with the dough join at the bottom. Make a couple of decorative cuts in the top of the dough on each sausage roll.
- Using the remaining 1/4 whisked egg mix, lightly brush each sausage roll to encourage a deep brown and glossy finish.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes, then turn the oven down to 150*C and bake for a further 10 minutes.
NOTE: I OFTEN ADJUST MY RECIPES WHEN I FIND NEW INGREDIENTS AND WILL UPDATE THE RECIPES ON MY BLOG ACCORDINGLY (RATHER THAN PRODUCING ANOTHER RECIPE), SO PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK BEFORE MAKING.