SAGE & ORANGE BUTTER
I can’t remember where I found this lovely recipe for a herby butter. I always put seasoned and herbed butter between the Turkey skin and flesh. This traps the rich citrus and herb butter under the skin and allows the taste to permeate the turkey flesh, whilst keeping it moist. You can use any herbs and lemon too, but I love the taste of orange at Christmas. I certainly don’t count the carbs in this lovely accompaniment as they are negligible. This butter would be wonderful on pork, too.
Ingredients – For one large Turkey
- 125g Salted Butter
- 15g Red Onion (very finely chopped)
- 1 tblsp Sage (fresh – very finely chopped)
- 1 medium Orange – grated zest only
- Salt & Pepper
- You will need your butter at room temperature and may need to just microwave it for 10-15 seconds to ensure it is soft enough to blend, but not at all melted or runny
- I use an electric chopper to finely chop my onion and herbs. If you don’t have one, it is important to really chop the onion and herbs finely. Not to a smooth paste, but to something like a grainy paste
- Mix the herbs and orange zest into the butter. Add salt & pepper to taste and mix through well
- Keep in the fridge until required, but soften to room temperature before applying to the Turkey flesh, underneath the skin.
- This herby butter can also be frozen
NOTE: I OFTEN ADJUST MY RECIPES WHEN I FIND NEW INGREDIENTS AND WILL UPDATE THE RECIPES ON MY BLOG ACCORDINGLY (RATHER THAN PRODUCING ANOTHER RECIPE), SO PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK BEFORE MAKING.