PERSIAN LEMON CHICKEN SKEWERS
This wonderful recipe has been inspired by tasting the wonderful lemon chicken wings our Persian neighbours have shared with us at our annual neighbourhood BBQ. It’s their family recipe, which has been a favourite for many years and is always a feature at our get-togethers. Served with Persian Rice (made the keto way with Cauliflower), this is a wonderfully tasty and filling addition to any BBQ. At only 1.5 net carbs per kebab, this lovely BBQ dish is a must.
INGREDIENTS – For 8 Kebabs
- 4 Large skinless chicken breasts, chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 white onion
- 1.5 large lemons (grated rind and juice)
- 1/4 tsp Saffron threads (crushed and dissolved in 2 tblsp hot water
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 75ml Fage Yogurt (0%)
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Cube the chicken breasts and place into a large bowl
- Dissolve the turmeric and saffron in 2 tblsp hot water
- Add the onion to a food processor of mini-blitzer to blitz to a paste
- Add the lemon juice and grated rind to the onion and blitz again to thoroughly combine
- Add the blitzed onion and lemon to another bowl and stir in the turmeric and saffron water, the yogurt and the salt and pepper. Combine thoroughly
- Pour the sauce over the chicken cubes and mix thoroughly to coat all the chicken. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least two hours, preferably overnight.
- Once you are ready to BBQ, thread the chicken pieces equally onto your skewers and BBQ for 2-3 minutes each side until thoroughly cooked (8-12 mins in total depending on the heat of your BBQ)
- The chicken can also be pan-fried, in a griddle pan on top of the oven, with a small knob of butter to prevent sticking.
- Serve with Persian Rice!
NOTE: I OFTEN ADJUST MY RECIPES WHEN I FIND NEW INGREDIENTS AND WILL UPDATE THE RECIPES ON MY BLOG ACCORDINGLY (RATHER THAN PRODUCING ANOTHER RECIPE), SO PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK BEFORE MAKING.