‘LUNDY’ CABBAGE CASSEROLE
This lovely dish is the perfect accompaniment for all meat and chicken dishes. It is particularly good with pork, bacon, ham and sirloin steaks. It’s a recipe I’ve adapted from www.dietdoctor.com and is now a firm favourite in our household. I use savoy cabbage as it tends not to go as soft as other varieties and you can use whichever hard cheese is your favourite. It’s border-line keto as this recipe comes out as a low-carb 11 carbs per serving.
Ingredients – 6 hearty servings
- 1.5 lb Savoy (or other) Cabbage – thinly sliced
- 1 small Onion – sliced into strips
- 1 clove Garlic – chopped finely
- 50g Butter
- 1.5 cups Double Cream
- 200ml Sour Cream
- 225g Cream Cheese
- 1/2 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- Salt & Black Pepper
- 100g Cheddar Cheese – grated
- Preheat the oven to 200*C
- Slice the cabbage finely into slices (not chopped)
- Add the butter to a large and heavy-bottomed frying pan. Add the onion and garlic and sauteé for a couple of minutes to soften.
- Add the cabbage a handful at a time to soften each handful. Be patient, this takes a little time to move it all around the pan. I find keeping the pan on one edge of the heat is the best way to soften the new handful of cabbage, whilst keeping the rest warm and not overcooked.
- Once the cabbage is all evenly softened, add the cream, cream cheese and sour cream and stir through the cabbage to combine well. Season with salt and plenty of black pepper and your Nutmeg to taste.
- Once heated through, transfer the cabbage mix to your preferred and buttered casserole dish and top with your favourite grated cheese.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling and brown.
- This dish can easily be divided into portions, frozen and re-heated in the microwave when required.
NOTE: I OFTEN ADJUST MY RECIPES WHEN I FIND NEW INGREDIENTS AND WILL UPDATE THE RECIPES ON MY BLOG ACCORDINGLY (RATHER THAN PRODUCING ANOTHER RECIPE), SO PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK BEFORE MAKING.