LEMON MERINGUE PIE
Here’s another delicious, traditional, family-favourite for those sunny, spring and summer days ahead! This lovely lemon-tart filling is complemented beautifully by crisp, sweet pastry and soft, sweet meringue. With a dash of double cream to serve, it’s the perfect dessert or afternoon-tea treat.
At only 5 carbs per serving, what are you waiting for?
Ingredients – 8 Servings
- 1 batch Sweet Short Crust Pastry (from this blog : Challenge – Keto Pastry)
- 1 Cup Bocha Sweet sugar substitute
- 3 Lemons Zest Only
- 3 Lemons Juice Only
- 4 Large Eggs (whole)
- 4 Large Eggs (Yolks only)
- 40g Butter
- Pinch Salt
- 4 Large Egg Whites
- 150g Bocha Sweet sugar substitute
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Apple Cider or White vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 175*C
- Make your pastry the day before you need it and leave it in the fridge overnight to rest and cool.
- When ready to make your pie, press the pastry dough into the bottom and 2/3 up the sides of a 25cm fluted, loose-bottomed flan tin.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 17-18 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Combine the Bocha Sweet, the lemon juice and the lemon zest in a large bowl. Set this over a pan of boiling water, add the eggs and egg yolks and use a balloon whisk continuously, to gently combine until the lemon curd starts to thicken (until it resembles the consistency of sour cream). This will take 15-20 minutes. Be patient. It will happen. The sauce will thicken and it will be worth the wait.
- Once the sauce is thick enough, strain it through a mesh strainer into another large bowl and immediately stir through the salt and butter until the butter is melted and thoroughly combined.
- Pour the lemon sauce into the cooled pastry case
- Prepare the meringue topping by whisking together the egg whites, Bocha Sweet sugar, vinegar and baking powder until thick and glossy and it forms stiff peaks in your bowl.
- Spoon the meringue in even dollops on top of the lemon filling and gently push them together, to seal the pie and also sealing the edges of the pie crust to the meringue. Tap the meringue to create peaks and bake in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes.
Serve cold with cream. Enjoy!
NOTE: I OFTEN ADJUST MY RECIPES WHEN I FIND NEW INGREDIENTS AND WILL UPDATE THE RECIPES ON MY BLOG ACCORDINGLY (RATHER THAN PRODUCING ANOTHER RECIPE), SO PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK BEFORE MAKING.