A firm family favourite of ours, I just had to adapt our traditional family recipe to enable us to continue to enjoy it whilst observing our keto and low-carb diets. We like quite large portions, so this comes out at 9g each if you cut 6 portions from the recipe. Using courgettes in place of the regular pasta has been a revelation. It works!
Ingredients – Serves 6
- 500g Large courgettes
- 1 tblsp Salt – to salt the courgettes
- Knob Butter – to sauté the onion and garlic
- 1/2 Large white onion (about 100g) – chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic – chopped finely
- 1lb Minced Beef
- 142g Tin of Tomato Pureé (double concentrate from Sainsbury’s)
- 2 tblsp Italian (or mixed) herbs
- 200ml Water
- Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
- 100g Cream Cheese
- 150g Grated Cheddar (or other cheese of preference)
- 150ml Double Cream
- 150ml Almond Milk
- 1 tsp Guar Gum
- 1 tsp Butter
- Preheat your oven to 175*C
- Grease your lasagne dish with butter.
- Wash and top and tail the courgettes. Then slice them lengthways in 2mm slices. I use my favourite fish-filleting knife for the best control
- Layer the courgettes in a bowl or on a tray, sprinkling the salt between each layer and set aside for at least 30 minutes. This will remove some of the water-content from the courgettes and help to prevent your lasagne from becoming a soggy mess
- Melt the butter in a pan and sauté the onion and garlic until softened.
- Add the minced beef and stir until the meat is lightly browned.
- Add the tomato pureé, herbs and water and once boiling, simmer on a low heat for 40-50 minutes to soften the meat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and then take off the heat to cool
- Put the cream cheese and cheddar (or other cheese) into a heavy-bottomed pan and heat gently until melted together
- Stir in the double cream and almond milk and raise the heat to just below boiling. Ensure all the cheese has dissolved into the creamy sauce mixture.
- Stir the guar gum thoroughly into the tsp of butter in a small bowl and when fully mixed, add this to the sauce. This process allows the guar gum to disperse evenly throughout the sauce, as the butter melts, to thicken it without causing clumps.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper (and maybe a little nutmeg if you like) and then allow to cool slightly.
- Rinse the courgette slices in a little water to remove the salt and pat dry with kitchen paper
- Layer one-third of the courgette slices all over the bottom of the lasagne dish.
- Top with half of the meat and one-third of the cheese sauce
- Repeat the courgette, meat and cheese sauce layers a second time
- Add a final layer of courgettes and cheese sauce.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes
Serve with baked keto bread rolls infused with garlic butter and a little spinach salad. Enjoy!
NOTE: I OFTEN ADJUST MY RECIPES WHEN I FIND NEW INGREDIENTS AND WILL UPDATE THE RECIPES ON MY BLOG ACCORDINGLY (RATHER THAN PRODUCING ANOTHER RECIPE), SO PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK BEFORE MAKING.