Yes, you heard me right! It’s a fruit salad with a kickJ. This hot spiced fruit salad will surprise you with its sweet and zesty taste. Fresh whole spices give this healthy salad a unique zip. The secret to any outstanding fruit salad depends on how you pick the right fruit combination and of course the sauce.
Fresh fruit makes this salad tasty and nutritious, but frozen fruit may be substituted if fresh fruit is not available. Spiced Fruit Salad works well as a dessert or a side dish with a casual brunch or bring to a potluck/ family party. It is super easy to make and packs with vitamin C while pleasing your taste buds.
1 ½ cups water
2 table spoon white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon anise seed
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon peppercorns
½ teaspoon whole allspice
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 medium oranges
1 cup straweberries, sliced
1 small apple , sliced
2 Kiwis, sliced
1 cup cherries, pitted and halved
1 cup fresh pineapple (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan.
- Using a sharp paring knife or peeler, peel the outer skin off one orange. You do not need to grate the orange peel, since you will be removing it from the saucepan when you are finished.
- Add the orange peel to the sugar-water mixture.
- Add vanilla extract and cinnamon stick to the sugar-water mixture.
- Measure anise seed, peppercorns, and allspice into a spice ball and place in the saucepan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for ten minutes.
- While the mixture is cooking, peel oranges and cut oranges and plums into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine chopped oranges, Kiwis, straweberries and plums with blueberries, cherries and chopped pineapple.
- Remove the spice ball, orange peel, and cinnamon stick from the saucepan, add the lemon juice and pour the sauce mixture over the fruit. Mix well.
- Cover bowl and chill thoroughly in the refrigerator, at least one hour.
Note: Thank You Medeja for giving the Stylish Blogger award to me. Please check her lovely blog CranberryJam for great recipes.