HEARTY CHEESE BURGERS
These simple and delicious burgers are a real treat on a keto diet. Hearty, filling and satisfying and packing a wonderful taste, they are a weekly treat in our house. I use the ‘Simply the Best Bread Rolls’ for the filler-bread and the best, leaner minced beef you can get from your local butcher or supermarket. You can choose which cheese to use and whether to gently sauteé your onion in the juices from the burgers, or have the onion raw. These lovely burgers are only 5 carbs each.
Ingredients – For 4 Quarter Pound Burgers
- 500g Good quality minced beef
- 1 large Egg – beaten
- 1 Kallo Beef stock cube – crumbled (other brands fine too)
- 1 Bread roll from the recipe on this blog – chopped finely
- 1 clove Garlic – chopped finely
- 1/4 Onion – chopped finely
- Salt & Pepper – plenty!
- 1 knob Butter – for frying
- 60g Strong Cheddar (or your preferred cheese)
- 4 Bread rolls from the recipe on this blog – cut across in half
- 4 slices Large Beef Tomato (Half the tomato)
- 4 slices Small-sized Onion (1/3 of the onion)
- 4 tsp Mayonnaise
- Add the top 7 ingredients above to a large bowl and mix them well, distributing all the ingredients evenly.
- Divide into 4, roll each quarter into a firm ball and then slightly flatten the balls into a burger shape.
- Place the burgers on a plate, cover with greaseproof paper and refrigerate (to firm up the burgers) for at least 3 hours. You can cook without refrigerating if you don’t have time, but they may break up in the pan if you are not careful with them.
- Add the knob of butter to a heavy-based frying pan and fry the burgers for 7-8 minutes on each side, turning them over and moving them around the pan every 2 minutes to get an even brown colour. If you prefer cooked to raw onion, you can sauteé the (chopped) slices of onion in the pan, using the juices from the burgers.
- Once cooked, add slices of cheese onto the top of the burgers and grill them until the cheese starts to bubble and run down the sides of the burgers.
- To assemble, place the burger on the bottom half of the bread rolls, top with a thin slice of onion (or your fried onion), a slice of tomato and a teaspoon of mayonnaise.
There are so many options for this recipe: garlic mayonnaise can be used, the onions can be fried in the oils from the burgers, sriracha sauce can be added to the mayonnaise for a spicy flavour. You don’t need to add cheese. Blue cheese is quite a nice option if you enjoy blue cheese.
NOTE: I OFTEN ADJUST MY RECIPES WHEN I FIND NEW INGREDIENTS AND WILL UPDATE THE RECIPES ON MY BLOG ACCORDINGLY (RATHER THAN PRODUCING ANOTHER RECIPE), SO PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK BEFORE MAKING.