HAZELNUT CHOCOLATE CAKE with SALTED CARAMEL CREAM
This is a deliciously rich, nutty cake, packed with flavour and the most delicate sweetness of salted-caramel in the cream filling and topping. It’s a recipe I developed from making the keto cake part of my tiramisu and I just know it’s going to be a staple in this house for cake treats. Although rich and sweet, it only contains 6 carbs per slice! What’s not to like?
Ingredients – For 12 servings
- 250g Hazelnut Meal
- 50g Hazelnut Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tblsp 90% Cocoa Powder
- 5 large Eggs
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 75ml Vanilla or Brown Sugar Skinny Syrup Sweetener
- 200g Butter – melted
- 300ml Double Cream
- 4 tblsp Salted Caramel Skinny Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 175*C and line & grease two 21cm cake tins
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a large bowl
- Melt the butter in another bowl
- Lightly whisk the eggs with a fork and then add the vanilla essence and the skinny syrup sweetener
- Pour the melted butter and the mixed egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir to combine well. You can add a little more hazelnut meal if too soft a mixture or a little almond milk or double cream if you need to loosen the mixture a little to form the regular consistency of a cake batter
- Divide the cake batter equally between the two baking tins
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes, until firm to the touch and a cocktail stick comes out clean
- Cool on a baking rack. Once cool, prepare the filling & topping
- Whisk the double cream until thick. Add the salted caramel sauce and whisk briefly again to mix through. Pile or pipe the cream into the centre of the cake and spread a little on the top.
- Sprinkle a little grated 90% cocoa chocolate on the top to make it look pretty and add a few hazelnuts too (although I didn’t count them in the carbs list!)
Serve with afternoon Tea as a cake or serve it, as a cake without cream, warmed and swimming in hot keto custard as a pudding! You can even drizzle some skinny caramel sauce over the custard too. Enjoy!