Pasta is one of those comfort dishes that never go out from my kitchen. This creamy Fettuccine with Brussels Sprouts & Mushrooms dish is a delicious and filling meal for everyone! Mushrooms go very well with pasta; their rich earthy flavors nicely complementing the other ingredients in the dish especially roasted red pepper and Brussels sprouts. Skim milk keeps the fat count down but the creamy taste intact. You can use any kind of pasta you like – penne, rigatoni – in place of the Fettuccine. This dish is so quick and easy to throw together for a weeknight meal.
12 ounces fettuccine
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 cups sliced mixed mushrooms, such as cremini, oyster and/or shiitake
4 cups sliced Brussels sprouts
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
2 cups skim milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup finely shredded Asiago cheese, plus more for garnish
2 roasted red bell pepper (sliced)
1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, return to the pot and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms release their liquid, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Add garlic and roasted bell pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Add sherry vinegar, scraping up any brown bits; bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until almost evaporated, (10 seconds) Whisk milk and flour in a bowl; .add to the skillet with salt and pepper.
5. Cook, stirring, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, about 2 minutes. Stir in Asiago until melted. Add the sauce to the pasta; gently toss. Serve with more cheese, if desired