COFFEE & WALNUT CAKE
This lovely, rich, traditional cake is my Partner’s favourite. The combination of good coffee and hearty walnuts is a compelling combination for any afternoon tea or anytime sweet treat. You can make the cake with or without the topping (or you can use the topping as a filler in the middle of your cake if you like). Either way, it’s going to be a firm favourite in most households. I make it in my oblong tin and cut it into hearty squares, but it can be made as a victoria sponge in two round tins, for traditional slices of cake, too. Whatever you fancy! At 4 net carbs per slice, there’s nothing to worry about here!
Ingredients – For 15 Servings
- 150g Softened Butter
- 125g Bocha Sweet Granulated sweetener
- 4 large Eggs
- 1 Tblsp Black Treacle
- 200g Almond Flour
- 50g Coconut Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Xanthan Gum
- 2 x 35ml shots of Espresso Coffee (or 3 tblsp instant coffee in 70ml boiling water) With 2 tblsp reserved for the topping.
- 35ml Almond Milk
- 85g Walnuts (chopped to your preferred size)
- 100g Bocha Sweet Powdered Sugar (Icing Sugar)
- 150ml Double Cream
- 100g Mascarpone Cheese (must be at room temperature)
- Preheat your oven to 170*C
- Mix, thoroughly all the dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Make your coffee and allow it to cool slightly
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy with a hand mixer
- Whisk through the black treacle
- Lightly whisk the eggs with a fork and then gradually add 1/4 of the egg mixture to the creamed butter & sugar mix, together with 2 tblsp of the flour mix and combine well
- Repeat until all the egg and flour mixture have been incorporated and thoroughly combined together. You will have a stiff cake mixture.
- Pour in the coffee and the almond milk and whisk lightly to combine thoroughly, then stir through the chopped walnuts.
- Pour into a lined baking tray (or trays) and bake for 40-45 minutes if in a large oblong tin and for 30 minutes if divided into two tins – or until a skewer comes out clean
- Cool thoroughly on a cooling rack before cutting or decorating
- To make the topping (or filling) whisk the Bocha Sweet Poder, the double cream and the mascarpone together with the 2tblsp of reserved coffee until it is thick and creamy.
- Spread the topping over the top of the cooled cake (or between the two rounds of cake) and decorate with a few coffee beans or walnuts.
- Keep in the fridge or a cool larder for up to 3 days.
NOTE: I OFTEN ADJUST MY RECIPES WHEN I FIND NEW INGREDIENTS AND WILL UPDATE THE RECIPES ON MY BLOG ACCORDINGLY (RATHER THAN PRODUCING ANOTHER RECIPE), SO PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK BEFORE MAKING.