CHRISTMAS BREAD & BUTTER PUDDING
The Christmas spices (and brandy if you choose it) make this family classic extra special. It’s sweet and warm and comforting and just smells delicious. Using the ‘Simply The Best Bread Rolls’ recipe earlier in this blog, the carb count is limited to just 6 per portion. Easy to make, what’s not to love?
Ingredients – Serves 6
- 6 ‘Simply The Best Bread Rolls’
- Knob Butter for buttering the sliced bread rolls
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Mixed Spice
- 1 tsp Grated Nutmeg
- 4 Cloves
- 1 medium Orange – Zest Only
- 300ml Almond Milk
- 200ml Double Cream
- 4 medium Eggs
- Slosh Skinny Syrup – Vanilla (to taste)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 tblsp Brandy (if desired)
- Preheat your oven to 175*C
- Grease a 1 ltr baking dish with butter
- Mix all the spices together in a small bowl
- Whisk the eggs, in a bowl, and add the vanilla extract and the vanilla syrup
- Generously butter your bread rolls and then cut them in half and then into halves again
- Lay the buttered bread pieces evenly into your dish and sprinkle the spices evenly between all the buttered pieces
- Add the milk, cream, cloves and orange zest to a pan and bring slowly to the heat, without boiling
- When the milk mixture is very warm and just before boiling, remove the cloves and then stir the milk into the whisked egg mixture and thoroughly combine
- Stir the brandy through now, if desired
- Pour the custard into a large jug and then pour it evenly over the bread
- leave it to stand for at least 30 minutes – keep poking the bread under the custard to ensure it’s all coated
- Then bake in the centre of the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the custard has set and the top is brown.
Serve with lashings of cream and a squirt of skinny food company mince pie sauce. Enjoy!
NOTE: I OFTEN ADJUST MY RECIPES WHEN I FIND NEW INGREDIENTS AND WILL UPDATE THE RECIPES ON MY BLOG ACCORDINGLY (RATHER THAN PRODUCING ANOTHER RECIPE), SO PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK BEFORE MAKING.