This delicious Chicken Hakka Noodle recipe is an Indo-Chinese inspired dish. It has traditional Indian spices like cumin, chilies, garlic and ginger that add the traditional hotness to the noodle dish along with plenty of dark soy sauce and scallions to bring in the Chinese flavor. All flavors work in harmony to give the authentic Asian taste to Hakka noodles.
Ingredients: For Hakka Noodles
400 gms Egg Noodles
2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1 bell pepper/capsicum, sliced
1/2 small green cabbage, shredded
3 cups French style cut beans
1 medium onion, sliced
1 bunch green onions/scallions, chopped
1 tablespoon red chili flakes
1 cup of shredded boiled chicken
1/4 cup Asian Sesame Oil
4 tablespoons dark soy sauce (Kikkoman)
2 tablespoons vinegar
Ingredients : For the Sauce:
1 whole garlic, or about 10- 12 large cloves
1.5 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
1 tsp cumin powder
2 tablespoons hot/chili sauce,
1/4 cup ketchup or tomato paste
4-5 tablespoons white sesame seeds
1. Cook Noodles in a large pot of boiling water until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, immediately sprinkle little oil to prevent sticking together, return to the pot and set aside.
2. Combine all ingredients of the “Sauce” in a food processor till it is almost like paste and keep aside.
3. Heat the sesame oil in a large wok. Add the chili flakes and after half a minute add the sliced onions. Cook at high heat till the onions are just about clear. Add the processed ingredients for the “sauce” and the salt.
4. Increase the heat to high, add the bell pepper, carrots, and beans and cook for only a couple of minutes. The vegetables should retain their color and crunch. Add the chicken strips and cook for 7-8 mines. Switch off the heat.
5. Add the noodles to the wok and stir them in carefully till all the cooked ingredients in the pan and the noodles are very well combined. Add the shredded cabbage.
6.Switch on the heat and cook the noodles on very high heat while flipping them every frequently, so the sauce, chicken, veggies and the noodles are combined uniformly while making sure the noodles do not stick at the bottom of the wok; cook for about 3-4 minutes. Switch off the heat.
Combine the chopped green onions and serve immediately.