Healthy Bowl of soup is perfect for a rainy day or if you just feel like eating light. This recipe is so simple to make and it has a smooth, thick texture and so flavorful. I love how butternut squash becomes silky and sweet when roasted and pureed in this recipe. The fresh ginger, cumin and garlic are detectable in the soup and it compliments the creamy and smooth flavors from butternut squash.
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups (3/4-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
4 cups fat-free, less-sodium vegetable broth
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp chopped fresh oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 (15-ounce) cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
2 tbsp olive oil
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1. Heat oil over medium heat; add onion, cumin and garlic, saute for 5 minutes.
2. Add rest of ingredients except the beans, bring to a boil.
3. Cover and reduce heat to medium, simmer 30 minutes stirring occasionally, until squash is tender.
4. Remove from heat and cool slightly, uncovered about 5 minutes.
5. Add the beans to the same pot and simmer for 5 mins and let it cool
6 In a blender, blend the squash mix and half of the beans until smooth
7. Return pureed soup to the soup pot and stir in the rest of the beans
8. Cook on medium heat about 5-10 minutes, or until heated.