BERRY PAVLOVA with STICKY TOFFEE SAUCE
Here’s a truly wonderful summer dessert. What could be nicer than soft, luscious, sweet pavlova with ripe strawberries and droplets of sticky toffee sauce? At only 3.5 net carbs per serving, this is going to be our favourite dessert throughout the summer.
Ingredients – For an 8 serving Pavlova
- 6 large Egg Whites
- 200g Bocha Sweet Sweetener (I can only get the granular, but it can be ground finer)
- 1 tsp White Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Cream of Tartar
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 400ml Double Cream
- 1 cup Strawberries (cut into nice pieces)
- 1/2 cup Blueberries
- 1/2 batch Sticky Toffee Sauce (from the Sticky Toffee Pudding recipe on this blog)
- Preheat the oven to 180*C
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and make your toffee sauce (if you haven’t got any to hand). The Toffee sauce is optional anyway, so no need to worry if you don’t have the time or the inclination.
- Wipe your mixing bowl and mixer blades with a little white vinegar on a piece of kitchen roll paper to eliminate any traces of fat or grease.
- Then whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Add the Bocha Sweet one tablespoon at a time and whisk a further 15 seconds for each spoonful added. Your meringue will become very glossy and firm.
- Add the vinegar, vanilla, baking powder, cream of tartar and Xanthan gum and whisk to combine thoroughly for a further 10 seconds.
- Transfer the meringue to your lined baking sheet, piling it up into an 8 inch (20cm) circle. I always make the edges a little higher so I have a slight dip into which I add the whipped cream when cooked and cooled.
- TURN THE OVEN DOWN TO 140*C and immediately put the meringue into the oven. Leave it to cook for 1hour 10 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave it in the oven, with the door closed, for at least 45 minutes to cool and firm up.
- Then take out your pavlova and allow it to cool thoroughly.
- When ready to serve, whip the cream and spoon it onto the pavlova, keeping 1″ (2cm) of the pavlova edges free of cream.
- Pile your strawberries and blueberries on top
- Drizzle your toffee sauce over to complete. (If the sauce has been made previously and kept in your fridge, simply heat it in the microwave for 10 seconds to loosen it to a drizzling consistency).
NOTE: I OFTEN ADJUST MY RECIPES WHEN I FIND NEW INGREDIENTS AND WILL UPDATE THE RECIPES ON MY BLOG ACCORDINGLY (RATHER THAN PRODUCING ANOTHER RECIPE), SO PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK BEFORE MAKING.