This is a yummy recipe for all veggie lovers who love baked vegetables. I got inspired from internet that lists stuffed tomato indian recipes but I modified it to suit my idea of assortment of ingredients that go in the tomato shell.
10 Large Tomatoes
4 medium – large onions
2 bell peppers (choice of green, orange or yellow)
12-15 garlic cloves
10 – 15 indian green chillies (per your heat tolerance ;))
1/3 bunch cilantro
1/3 lb cashews
1 lb paneer
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 stick butter
Salt to taste
1 heaping teaspoon of roasted cumin powder
1 heaping teaspoon of roasted coriander powder
Tomato Shell and Stew Preparation (Approximate Cooking Time : 45 minutes)
1. Cut off the flat top portion of each tomato.
2. Using knife or decorer, remove all the pulp from the tomato.
3. Ensure that the tomato is almost liquid free.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil at medium heat.
5. Heat all the pulp at high heat till most of the liquid evaporates. Stir in between. The pulp transforms into a paste. (Approximate heating time : 45 minutes)
6. Set the tomato paste aside
Stuffing Preparation (Approximate Cooking Time : 1 hour)1. Please note : All ingredients need to be finely chopped!
2. Fry onions and chillies and garlic till onions are browned in color.
3. Add half of the butter to the mixture.
4. Add cilantro, cumin and coriander powder and fry for another 3 minutes
5. Add the remaining butter to the mixture.
6. Add the cashews and fry for another 3 minutes.
7. Add paneer and fry for 5 minutes.
8. Finally add salt and fold in the tomato paste and fry for 5 minutes.
9. The stuffing is now ready.
Stuffed Tomato Baking (Approximate Cooking Time : 30 – 45 minutes)
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Stuff the tomatoes with the stuffing and lay them on a baking tray.
3. Drizzle olive oil on the sides and top of tomato so that it would flow onto the tray.
4. Insert the tray into oven and pull out when the tomato is browned or blacked to satisfaction.